Winter is here and Rejoice Wellness brings you ‘winter special recipes’ that provide; required vitamins & minerals, healthy fats, proteins & carbs to your body. These recipes are very useful for maintaining health in this season…
We have seen ‘Maharashtrian style mixed vegetable’ recipe already. Today it is ‘Gujrati style mixed vegetable’ recipe. This recipe is very healthy as it uses seasonal vegetables and is very tasty too…
Here the recipe is tweaked a little to make it healthy using oil free Muthiya & pressure cooker cooking for Undhiyu.
Undhiyu (Gujrati Winter Special Mixed Vegetable)
For making Muthias ( Bhajiya / dumplings):
• ¾ cup besan
• 1 tablespoon rice flour
• 1 tablespoon rawa i.e semolina
• ½ cup packed methi leaves fresh fenugreek leaves finely chopped
• ¼ teaspoon garam masala
• Pinch of turmeric haldi
• ½ teaspoon grated ginger
• 1 green chili finely chopped
• ¼ teaspoon red chili powder lal mirch
• ¼ teaspoon baking soda see notes
• 1 tablespoon oil OR yogurt for oil-free muthiyas
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• Salt to taste
• Water as needed to make a soft dough
Vegetables used for Undhiyu:
• 1 cup onion optional
• 2 teaspoon ginger (Freshly grated OR Paste)
• 1 Tablespoon garlic (Freshly grated OR Paste)
• 250 grams Surti Papdi OR Snow peas (Fresh OR Frozen approx. 4 cups packed )
• 1 plantain i.e raw banana
• 4 mini brinjals i.e eggplant
• 10 baby potatoes OR 3 medium sized potatoes
• 1 medium sized sweet potato
• 1 cup fresh or frozen Tuvar lilva (Pigeon Pea OR Edamame
• 1 cup Green Peas or Vaal beans fresh or frozen
• 1 cup tightly packed Cilantro leaves ie. coriander roughly chopped.
• ½ cup tightly packed Methi leaves (fresh fenugreek leaves) frozen.
• ½ cup water for cooking.
Additional Spices Ingredients:
• 4 tablespoons Cooking oil
• ¼ teaspoon Hing (Asafetida)
• ¼ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
• 1 tablespoon White sesame seeds i.e til
• 1 teaspoon Indian Red chili powder lal mirch
• ¼ teaspoon turmeric i.e haldi
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander powder i.e dhaniya powder
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• Salt to taste
• Freshly squeezed lemon juice as needed before serving
Green Masala Ingredients that need to be coarsely grounded –
• 4 Thai green chilies or adjust to your spice level
• 1 cup tightly packed Cilantro leaves i.e coriander
• ¼ cup peanuts skinless roasted preferred
• ½ cup desiccated coconut unsweetened OR fresh OR frozen coconut
For making Muthiya:
1. Mix all ingredients called to make muthiyas.
2. Slowly add in water to knead a soft sticky dough.
3. Now rub some oil on your palms and make lime size round dumplings.
4. Flatten dumplings a bit if cooking in in a appe pan.
For cooking oil free muthiyas in PANIYRAM PAN (appe/ aebleskiever pan):
1. Heat the appe pan on medium heat.
2. Lightly grease each cavity of the appe pan.
3. Lower the temperature and cook the muthiyas covered flipping them half way.
4. Cook around 3-4 minutes each side or until golden brown.
For making Green Masala –
1. In a food processor/ mixer or blender, grind the ingredients that need to be coarsely grounded.
2. Keep aside.
Preparing vegetables for making Undhiyu:
1. Cut baby potatoes into half or medium size potatoes into quarters.
2. Cut baby eggplants into half.
3. Wash, peel and cut plantain & sweet potatoes into approx. 1” cubes.
4. If using fresh Surti papdi or val papdi then wash them, remove the string from the ends and keep ready.
Pressure cooking Undhiyu:
1. Heat Instant Pot / cooker pot.
2. Add in oil.
3. Once warm add in hing (Asafetida), cumin, onion.
4. Sautee onions for 2 minutes.
5. Add in ginger garlic pate and sauté for few seconds.
6. Now add in potatoes , sweet potatoes, plantain , green peas, lilva/ edamame
7. Add all the masala under “Additional spices” and half cup water.
8. Layer it with cilantro, fenugreek leaves and Surti papdi, Val papdi.
9. Add in coarsely grounded masala that we made.
10. Give it a good mix.
11. Now top it with muthiyas but DO NOT STIR.
12. Put the lid of pressure cooker and let it cook till 3 whistles. Check if potatoes have cooked well or not; otherwise cook till few more whistels.
13. Serve it hot.