Kulith [Horsegram] Dal
• 1/2 cup Horse Gram Dal (Kollu/ Kulith)
• 3 cups Water
• 1 tablespoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
• Salt , to taste
• 1 tablespoon Ghee
• 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
• 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
• 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
• 1 Onion , chopped
• 1 Tomato , chopped
• 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
• 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
• Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped for garnish
1. Soak horse gram in 1 cup of water overnight.
2. Next morning, in a pressure cooker, add the soaked horse gram dal and 3 cups of water. Add salt to taste and turmeric powder.
3. Close the cooker with a lid and pressure cook for 6-7 whistles. Let the pressure release naturally.
4. Next, heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan on medium flame. Once the ghee has melted, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them crackle.
5. Add asafoetida and let it cook for few seconds.
6. Next add ginger garlic paste, saute it and let it cook on medium flame until raw aroma of ginger garlic goes away. This will take about a minute or two.
7. Add in the chopped onion, saute until the onions are translucent. Add tomatoes, red chilli powder, salt and coriander powder. Cover the pan and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. After 2 to 3 minutes, add the mashed horse gram into the pan. Cover and let it simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Turn off the flame and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
10. Serve Horsegram Dal along with Phulkas, Sabzi and Raita for a complete and wholesome meal.