Continuing our body preparation for upcoming Diwali… Getting ourselves in the Best of our shape for Diwali dazzle… Rejoice wellness brings you another soup recipe that’s a vegan, gluten free balanced meal and serve great as your pre Diwali dinner.
Quinoa Vegetable Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 to 2 cups chopped seasonal vegetables, like peas, beans, bell pepper, sweet potatoes or pumpkin
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large bowl diced tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well in a fine mesh colander
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, as to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch red chili flakes, as to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, as to taste
- Chickpeas 1 cup, rinsed and mildly cooked
- Chopped fresh kale or spinach 1 cup or more
- Lemon juice, 1 to 2 teaspoons, to taste
- Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped onion, carrot, celery, seasonal vegetables and a pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring frequently, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes with their juices and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the quinoa, broth and the water.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, 2 bay leaves and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Season generously with freshly ground black pepper.
- Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 25 minutes, then remove the lid and add the chickpeas and the chopped kale or spinach.
- Continue simmering for 5 minutes or more, until the greens have softened to your liking.
- Remove the pot from heat, then remove the bay leaves.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Taste and season with more salt, pepper and/or lemon juice until the flavors really come alive.